Museum

History

Casillas1

In the late nineteenth century was builded the third floor, made exclusively of mansory to serve as housing to Sacristan of the Cathedral Church, priest in charge of the care and maintenance of the Church and the organization of divine worship in it.

In the course of the years the Casillas House has received restorations, adjustments, additions, etc., all designed to provide the required services and for maintenance and conservation.

In the years (2004 – 2006) was adapted in whole ground floor to establish the Museum of Church Cathedral of Quito, through which the general public can historically recall the process of evangelization of the Christian people through paintings, images and objects of sacred art with which the faithful have expressed their faith, devotion and gratitude to God, Supreme Creator of all things and the Blessed Virgin Mary and other saints of popular devotion, and thus assess the work of the missionaries and folk artists, the great love and gratitude of the people of God.

Among the construction of the Cathedral Church since the sixteenth century it also had been builded a Casillas House, used as a dwelling to the parish priest, and more staff dedicated to maintenance.

House Casillas is built primarily on 1 floor, down of the fillings of the gorge of Jerusalem that descends from the slopes of Pichincha, together with stores facing the street Venezuela, popularly known on the early days as mail street, because part of the house served as public mail, hence the name house “Casillas”. Already in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the second floor is built for offices and warehouses lords Canons of the Cathedral Church.

Casillas2
ANDALUZ YARD

Also called Casillas home, of Andalusian style from Spain. During the day, the light goes through the courtyard, in the morning the sun illuminates the western part of the yard and throughout the day is directed towards the east.

The history of this courtyard, begins with the cathedral, was the home of the first parish priest. In the central patio floor, one can distinguish the crosses made whit vertebrae of cow and / or pork. In his time they served as skirting board, as a sign of power and wealth and as protection against evil spirits.

Halls of the Museum

SalaDelTesoro

In this room is exhibit a sample of hand embroidery ornaments (XVIII-XX century) with threads of gold, silver, copper and bronze exhibits; some of these decorated with precious stones. Which they have been used by the priests of this church in the special liturgical events, from the seventeenth century to the present. As can be seen there are garments of various colors used according to the liturgical calendar: purple for Easter, red when the church remembers the feast of a martyr, green in ordinary time, blue or light blue for feasts of the Virgin Mary, the white in the black ceremonies of joy (Christmas) and was used in funeral masses.

Room where the Cathedral Chapter gather togheter, Archbishop and canons, to the present in major events.

Its opening dates from the seventeenth century under the bishopric of Don Alonso de la Peña and Montenegro (1653.1687) who also had a role as president of the Royal Audience of Quito.

The gallery room has 38 paintings of different bishops, archbishops of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Quito, since 1545 until today; three of which received the title of Cardinals Universal of Ecuador.

The paintings are full body portraits and have on the top of the corner the blazon of every bishop and on the lower corner the number of the series, and a historical reference of his life.

SalaCapitular
ORNAMENT DELIVERED BY POPE LEO XIII

Silk ornament donated to the cathedral by Pope Leo Thirteenth, is a set of Sacred Heart of Jesus with the crown of thorns and embroidered with gold thread decorations. In the body has the inscription of the Pope with the papal symbols of crossed keys and the papal tiara.

Meet the Treasures

Meet some of the treasures that can be seen in the museum of the Cathedral in Quito.

LIBRARY

Next to the Chapter Hall is the Liturgical Library. Contains records of the Cabildo especially Ecclesiasticus and documents concerning the XVII, XVIII, XIX and XX century in which all events and accounts of the Cathedral and Diocese of Quito are reported.

You can also find books of dogmatic theology, Canon Law, Moral, Geography, Theology, among others, handwritten in Latin and ancient Castilian.

One of its main units is the collection of baron Humboldt, the year 1802 on his visit to the Royal Audience of Quito (Ecuador now) to do research on climate change in relation to the altitude.

It can be found in the secular section, since at that time it was considered contrary to the teachings of the church.